Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What about Jared?

We all know the brother of Jared.  He is the amazing prophet who led the Jaredites to safety in the Americas and saw the Lord in the process.  What ever happened to his brother Jared. Why do we call him the Brother of Jared.  I mean he was the prophet wouldn't knowing his name be more important than knowing his brothers?  Apparently Moroni didn't think so. This was a fact that I had wondered about for a long time. While I was thinking about this and I decided it was probably because we had something important we needed to learn from the Jared.  So I turned to Ether and decided to see what I could learn from Jared.  I learned so much i wanted to share it so here we go.  Ether 1:34-39

34 And the brother of Jared being a large and mighty man, and a man highly favored of the Lord, Jared, his brother, said unto him: Cry unto the Lord, that he will not confound us that we may not understand our words.
 35 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did cry unto the Lord, and the Lord had compassion upon Jared; therefore he did not confound the language of Jared; and Jared and his brother were not confounded.
 36 Then Jared said unto his brother: Cry again unto the Lord, and it may be that he will turn away his anger from them who are our friends, that he confound not their language.
 37 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did cry unto the Lord, and the Lord had compassion upon their friends and their families also, that they were not confounded.
 38 And it came to pass that Jared spake again unto his brother, saying: Go and inquire of the Lord whether he will drive us out of the land, and if he will drive us out of the land, cry unto him whither we shall go. And who knoweth but the Lord will carry us forth into a land which is choice above all the earth? And if it so be, let us be faithful unto the Lord, that we may receive it for our inheritance.
 39 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did cry unto the Lord according to that which had been spoken by the mouth of Jared.
In those 6 verses from the Book of Mormon I learned several things that we can do to be better and to have a better attitude about ourselves no matter the position we have in life.    I learned that our faith in Christ can be shown in different ways.  That when we are humble we are strong influences for good on others.  That encouraging words are the right way to go.  Commands don't get us very far.  We each have our own roles in the Eternal plan of our Heavenly Father.  Jared understood that very well.  In all he does he shows support to his brother.  Jared understands that his brother is the leader and he respects that.  The last thing I learned was that even though the scriptures say that the no one had ever had as much faith as the Brother of Jared that he still needed help and motivation; and Jared was able to supply that and help his brother to grow.
I know that we all have our own challenges in life.  But I also know that the stories of the Book of Mormon help anyone solve any challenge.  I encourage each one of you to find a story in the Book of Mormon to read it and then apply it to yourself.  I know no matter your story that it will help.  The Book of Mormon is the most true book on earth.  I see it change lives daily and it changes me.  I love it!!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment